Why Antivirus Software is needed?
The internet is an open place for all manners of people to obtain and share information. There are billions of people that use the internet at any given time, and thus there is a lot of opportunity for hackers to obtain a user’s personal information by either tricking him to click on some malicious link, or download some types of virus that will up corrupting his PC and force him to lose important information, Thus it is very important to protect your computer or smartphone from outside threats by installing some kinds of software that warns you of any malicious content, and can help you get rid of viruses that may already be present on your system. The basic purpose of modern antivirus software is to take care of 3 things:
- To have an adequate database of known viruses, so it can timely detect an incoming virus signature and notify you of malicious content. Triggering you to navigate away from the page in question before any harm can be done.
- To resist the onslaught of an incoming virus from infecting your files, there are some viruses that attack stealthily without any prior warning, an antivirus must be able to recognize external penetration and keep it from spreading further.
- To be able to scan your system for any stagnant viruses that may already be present, and clean them before they do any apparent damage.
7 Things to Consider While Purchasing Antivirus Software:
With the importance of antivirus software already established above, now let’s see a few things that will help you in deciding which software to choose for your own PC. There are thousands of software available online and it can be difficult to decide which one might be the most adequate for you.
- There are antivirus ranging all manners of price ranges, so it really depends on your requirement. Low end software might work for your home PC, while corporate businesses and offices might want to see premium software that costs a bit more.
- Take care to choose an antivirus that has an extensive virus signature database and has a known history for providing protection against commonly encountered viruses.
- Another thing to keep in mind is that there are hundreds of viruses added to the internet every day, so choose an antivirus that receives regular virus updates too, so you will be reasonably sure that new viruses might not pose an immediate threat.
- Choose an antivirus that can detect unusual activity in your system that might be due to the presence of some undetected virus.
- Choose an antivirus that has a stable alert system, so you are only notified of real or serious threats, instead of being bombarded with hundreds of notifications about some fake emergency.
- Choose an antivirus that offers you the ability of scanning individual folders or sub directories instead of having to scan entire hard drives at the same time. Installation and operating of an antivirus should not degrade your system’s performance or decrease its capabilities.
The article is written by Gloria and she recommends internet security for your mobile and computers.